Saturday, 27 September 2008

Some things I love about being married

We've been married for almost four months now, and I find it hard to imagine what it was like being without New Man. I've been working away from home for the last two weeks, and it's been the first time we've been apart since the wedding. Every evening, I would rush back to my room to wait for his phone call, and the hour or so that we spent chatting inconsequentially about this and that was the high point of my day. I came home last night, and it's great to be back - so I thought I'd do a little post about some of the things I love about being married to him.
  1. I love lying in his arms chatting for a few minutes after we go to bed and then drifting off to sleep beside him.
  2. I love waking up, turning off the alarm clock and turning to him for a good morning kiss - and the first words I hear in the morning are always "I love you".
  3. I love his willingness to learn to cook, pick up after himself, hang his towel on the towel rail and do all the other things that he never thought were important before he moved in with me.
  4. I love pretending to get cross when he accidentally addresses me as "Wifey".
  5. I love the fact that he makes sure I always have some of my favourite chocolates in the house - he checks the box every time he's going near the shops and buys a new one if I'm getting low.
  6. I love the fact that he thinks I'm beautiful.
  7. I love surprising him with little presents, and how appreciative he is of them even when they're quite boring - like the nice leather belt I brought home for him last week.
  8. I love the way he gets up and brings me a cup of tea before he leaves for work on days when I'm working from home.
  9. I love the fact that my shy, buttoned-up man who used to be totally uncomfortable with terms of endearment now occasionally calls me "My Love" - he says it totally naturally, and I know he means it.
  10. I love referring to him as my husband, and hearing him refer to me as his wife.
  11. I love the fact that we have a similar sense of humour and laugh together over the silliest little things.
  12. I love his patience and tolerance, and the fact that I can bring up fairly difficult topics and he'll discuss them with me and reach a compromise without turning a disagreement into an argument.

I'll keep the list down to a dozen for now, but yes, married life is pretty good really. We have our difficulties, which I will also be telling you about, but I love this man and I'm so grateful that we found each other.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I love this post!!! You should print it out and save it and look at it every few years :)

Mac McLernon said...

Heheheheheheh... sounds like you're off to a great start...

You have no idea how happy I am for the two of you!

newhousenewjob said...

Thank you. It took us long enough to find each other, but it was worth the wait.

Jackie Parkes said...

Great list! Must make one!