Friday, 9 May 2008

As promised ages ago...

I finished preparing our order of service yesterday, so it's fresh in my mind, and I did say ages ago I'd blog what we'd chosen.

I got a CD of wedding music for Christmas, and we listened to it in the car a few times before deciding on the Prelude to Te Deum by Charpentier for my entrance.



Then the first hymn is Lord of all hopefulness.

We're singing the Missa de Angelis Kyrie and Gloria. I have to confess New Man wasn't too keen - he thought nobody would know it - but I talked him round, and we compromised by having the Sanctus and Agnus Dei spoken in English.

The first reading will be read by New Man's sister. We liked the reading from Ecclesiasticus here, but weren't convinced my future sister-in-law would be able to read "her skill puts fat on his bones" with a straight face - New Man does love his food, and seems to enjoy my cooking. In the end, we chose Ruth 1:16-17.

The psalm is the third one here, from Psalm 103. We had the same psalm at my grandmother's funeral, and I'll be wearing her pearls, so I'll be thinking of her at this point in the Mass.

The second reading, read by my father, is Colossians 3:12-17. This was the reading we always used to have at the leavers' Mass at my old school, and my father read the same reading at my sister's wedding, and I think at my brother's as well.

The Gospel acclamation is "God is love; let us love one another as He has loved us", then the Gospel is John 15:9-12.

Having spent ages with New Man looking on the internet, going through the missal and the bible, reading all sorts of different readings and deciding on what we wanted for ourselves, when I went to use my sister's order of service as a template for ours, I realised that our psalm, second reading and Gospel are exactly the same as hers, as is the first hymn. What can I say? My little sister obviously has good taste!

My second brother and his wife are writing and reading the bidding prayers, and I know will do a fantastic job of that.

The offertory hymn is Praise, my soul, the King of Heaven - another old favourite. One of my godsons will be taking up the offertory with his two older brothers.

My niece, who is also a bridesmaid, will be making her First Holy Communion during the Mass. I've found a great quote for the order of service from the Comtesse de Gencé (whoever she was): "A girl's whole life unfolds between two veils: the communicant's and the bride's". She and her parents will receive Communion first, followed by New Man and me.

My father is my niece's godfather, and that weekend will be exactly 60 years since he made his First Communion (liturgically, anyway - he made his First Communion at Corpus Christi). So the first Communion hymn will be Jesus Gentlest Saviour, which was sung at my father's First Communion Mass. I tried googling it for my sister-in-law, so they could practise it together, but the tune which came up was not the one that we're having. Here are the words, though:

Jesus, gentlest Saviour,
God of might and power,
Thou thyself art dwelling
In us at this hour.
Nature cannot hold thee,
Heav’n is all too strait
For thine endless glory,
And thy royal state.

Yet the hearts of children,
Hold what worlds cannot,
And the God of wonders
Loves the lowly spot.
Jesus, gentlest Saviour,
Thou art in us now,
Fill us full of goodness,
Till our hearts o’erflow.

Pray the prayer within us
That to Heaven shall rise;
Sing the song that angels
Sing above the skies;
Multiply our graces,
Chiefly love and fear;
And, dear Lord, the chiefest,
Grace to persevere.

Then there's going to be a second Communion hymn - Fill My House - despite the protests of both my parents, who hate it. I've just always imagined having this one at my wedding, although I think the priest was quite pleased when I asked if we could change the words from "eat my bread and drink my wine" to "eat my body, drink my blood". Again, I can't find the tune on the net, but here are the words:

Fill my house unto the fullest.
Eat my body, drink my blood.
The love I bear is held from no-one.
All I own and all I do, I give to you.

Take my time unto the fullest.
Find in me the trust you seek,
And take my hands to you outreaching.
All I own and all I do, I give to you.

Christ our Lord with love enormous
From the cross his lesson taught
– to love all men as I have loved you.
All I own and all I do, I give to you.

Join with me as one in Christ-love.
May our hearts all beat as one,
And may we give ourselves completely.
All I own and all I do, I give to you.

New Man's contribution to the hymn choices has mostly just been to say yes or no to my suggestions. But one Sunday at Mass, we sang Immaculate Mary, and he turned to me as soon as it had finished and said, "Why don't we have that at the wedding?" So we're having it during the signing of the register at the end, and the one regret that I have is that I won't be able to sing along. I'm pleased to be having it for three reasons, though - because New Man chose it, because I know several of the people who are coming love it, and (most importantly) because the wedding is in May and so we particularly wanted to have a hymn to Our Lady.



Mac won't be able to come to our wedding because she'll be on a pilgrimage to Lourdes, so we'll think of her as we sing the Lourdes hymn.

And finally... we'll be going back down the aisle to Mendelssohn's Wedding March.

6 comments:

Mac McLernon said...

Ahhhhhhh... and I'll be praying for you both at the grotto.

We're actually attending a Mass at the grotto on the Saturday morning, so you'll be in my thoughts then!

Beth said...

Wow, how beautiful!!

Hey, our entrance hymn was Te Deum too, and our second reading was the same!! Good taste, I tell you!

newhousenewjob said...

Ah yes, I thought you were a person of taste and discernment, Beth! :¬)

Jackie Parkes said...

Would you mind updating your blog roll to my new blog?

Many thanks..

newhousenewjob said...

I know there are a couple of links on my blogroll that need to be updated, but I'm afraid it's one of those little jobs that's not high on my priority list at the moment, so with apologies to those of you whose links are a little out of date, I'm afraid it's going to have to wait until I get back from my honeymoon.

FloridaWife said...

Preparing the readings for your nuptial mass is so exciting! I had a lot of fun with this with my husband.