Tuesday, 29 April 2008

Unintended consequences

I love the fact that my sister has carried on with her children a number of traditions from our childhood. One is that at the end of the meal, my niece (who turned 4 last week) says, "Thank God and [name of person who cooked the meal] for my lovely [name of meal]. Please may I get down?" The person who cooked the meal then responds by telling her she can leave the table (or occasionally by saying, "But don't you want any pudding?"...).

I like this because it makes her think of both the immediate and the ultimate provenance of each meal, and it teaches her to say thank you for it.

But the other day, she was staying with my parents, and one morning my father let her help to make the breakfast. With help, she spooned the oats and poured the milk into a saucepan, and she stood on a stool to stir the porridge as it cooked. When it was served, everyone said what delicious porridge it was, and how clever she was to have made it all herself.

At the end of the meal, she said, "Thank God and ... ME for my lovely breakfast. Please may I get down? Yes, I may," and promptly left the table with a very satisfied look on her face!

4 comments:

Beth said...

Ha Ha! Sounds like a sweetie.

1 month and 2 days left!!!!

newhousenewjob said...

I know, it's getting really close! I have a dress fitting tomorrow... :¬)

Beth said...

That is so exciting. Are we going to get pictures on the blog?

newhousenewjob said...

I'll see what I can do...