Wednesday, 12 March 2008

When activity goes down...

I just thought I'd mention something that's happened since I had my long blogging break. I managed to break my addiction to Statcounter, but I do glance at it from time to time. Now, before my break, all my visits were from individuals, who had found my blog either through someone else's blog or through some obscure Google search.

When my blog had been inactive for a little while (I can't remember exactly, but I think it was at least a month), the hits suddenly started to go up again, and I looked at Statcounter to see what was going on. It turned out that I was getting approximately 20 hits a day from Google Images, and that has continued and is still going on today.

I don't know if it was the lack of activity on the blog that made the Google web-bot (or whatever they call it) home in and start cataloguing all my pictures, but I do know that all the pictures on my blog now come up when you do a relevant search on Google Images. Most of mine came from Google Images anyway, and I never post pictures of identifiable people, but it is a bit freaky to see my holiday snaps coming up on a Google search, and sometimes even on the first page of the results.

So I suppose first, I was wondering if any of you have experienced or heard of a similar thing, and know whether it is the lack of activity which caused this to begin. But more importantly, I wanted those of you who post family pictures to know that this happens. I don't want to freak you out, and I have just googled a couple of names of people who I know post pictures of their children and absolutely nothing came up in Google Images.

But if you're going to go for long periods without updating your blog, maybe it would help to password protect it, at least temporarily, to prevent your children's pictures being available on Google Images. (Please don't delete your blogs, though - the URL will still exist, and will be taken over by dodgy advertisers.) I don't know if anyone else has any other suggestions...

No comments: