Saturday, 15 March 2008

Weddings and marriages

Well, after our row on Tuesday, New Man sent me a very sweet e-mail saying he had thought about what I said and he agreed with it (sensible chap!). We've agreed that we need to spend more time preparing not just for the one day of the wedding, but for the marriage which we intend to last the rest of our lives.

So tonight we're going to sit down with the Bible and a list of possible readings, and read passages to each other and discuss them. We're both really looking forward to this, and I'm so pleased that he will have an input - his previous response when I said we needed to choose some readings was, "Well, I'll trust your judgement on that".

I've suggested that we go for a day out some time before the wedding to one of the shrines of Our Lady, where we can focus on what's important and not worry about all the hectic activity we usually cram into our weekends. He agreed that we should "do something like that", though I'm not sure he's really sold on the idea of a shrine.

And I'm going to buy a couple of books for us to read and talk about - which books they are depends slightly on what the particular shop I go to has available, but I'll take a list of your suggestions with me...

Meanwhile, the plans for the single day are progressing apace. On Wednesday I had my first dress fitting. The woman in the shop was very casual when I ordered my dress, saying that the bridesmaids' dresses could be ordered much closer to the time. Apparently it is now much closer to the time, and we need to get the bridesmaids' measurements and get those dresses on order YESTERDAY. (How do you convey a sense of urgency to the mother of a little bridesmaid without sounding hectoring...?)

And yesterday the favours for the female guests arrived. Since my brother moved to the US, every time he has come back with his family we have rented a big place where the whole family could stay together for a week. He usually comes in the summer, so the place where we stay is by the sea - and coincidentally, most of the randomly chosen places we have stayed at have had peacocks in the grounds. So when New Man and I found the place for our reception, I knew it was 'right' when I saw that it too had peacocks. And I used to work in China. So I was delighted when I found these:

4 comments:

Mac McLernon said...

Oh WOW... now those are mementos to treasure... (knocks the spots off sugared almonds!!)

newhousenewjob said...

That's what I thought - and would you believe they probably didn't cost any more than sugared almonds...?!!

Mac McLernon said...

Heheheheh... I am soooooo jealous. I shall have to pray extra hard for you and New Man when I'm in Lourdes as a penance!

newhousenewjob said...

Oh, thank you - for that, we'll save you a fan :¬)