Sunday, 16 March 2008

Nesting

We had a great day yesterday. Before New Man got here, I mopped the kitchen and sitting room floors and scrubbed a few surfaces. In the afternoon, he put books back on shelves while I carried on cleaning the kitchen.

When I moved into the house, the previous owners told me that the wooden worktops needed to be oiled about once a year. I bought some oil, and it's been sitting in the cupboard ever since. In the meantime, I've bought an unvarnished beech kitchen table and an unvarnished teak coffee table/bench.

You may have heard a faint slurping sound coming from the area of southern England yesterday. That would have been the kitchen table and the coffee table. I finally got round to oiling the wood, and boy, am I glad I did it! The oil was soaking in almost before I could spread it - the kitchen table alone took half the bottle. As it soaked in, it really brought out the beauty and richness of the wood, particularly on the coffee table. And hopefully now rings from tea and coffee cups won't soak in so easily, and I'll be able to relax a bit more when I have guests of the less careful variety.

After the wood was nicely oiled, New Man and I put the kitchen back together. We decided together where things would go, and several items have found new homes. My kitchen looks soooo great now, and I can't wait to get back to making bread and soup, now that my bread machine and blender are back in place.

Clearing the kitchen stuff back into the kitchen also meant we were able to relax on the sofa in the evening, listening to classical music on the radio and choosing the readings for our wedding (I'll do a separate post on that later). Since the front room has looked like this for over a month now, you can imagine what a relief that was!

But the best thing is that at the end of the day, New Man said, "I've really enjoyed today - I felt as if I was moving in. This really feels like home now."

He's been staying here most weekends that we weren't away somewhere for months, and we chose the colours together when the painter was coming. But after the wedding, he is going to be moving in here permanently.

I'm so happy that he now feels like he'll be coming home.

4 comments:

Futuristics said...

NICE Blog :)

newhousenewjob said...

Thank you :¬)

Beth said...

Awesome. Sounds like a great weekend. It will be so nice when he moves in!!! Married life is just so great - peaceful, I think.

newhousenewjob said...

I know, we can't wait!