Friday, 25 January 2008

Some great news

Yesterday I was visiting an internet forum that I look at from time to time. The people who post on this forum are from all walks of life - a spread of ages, educational backgrounds, family circumstances and religious beliefs or lack of them.

Someone had posted that she had a terrible problem - basically, having been told that she wouldn't be able to have children and taken a long time to come to terms with that, she had just found out that she was pregnant. Her post was very negative, talking about how this was the wrong time in her life for this to happen, and she just knew that she wouldn't be able to support a baby. She was obviously thinking very seriously about having an abortion.

In the course of a few hours, she had dozens of responses. Every single one said what a wonderful thing this was and what a miracle this baby was. At the same time, nobody criticised her for the way she was feeling, and they sympathised with her for her concerns. Most people don't use their real names in this forum, and most have never met each other, but several people offered her financial and practical help, and some offered to send her baby equipment.

Today she posted again, thanking everyone for helping her to clarify her thinking - and saying that although she thinks it's going to be very tough financially, she's decided to keep the baby. I'm so pleased for her and the baby, but I'm sure she's also going to have a few tough times ahead - please pray for them.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

What a great story! It makes me feel better about our world.

Esther said...

Oh, thank God! Really Christian of that forum to treat her with love instead of being judgmental. BTW, so glad you are posting again. I really missed your blog.

Mac McLernon said...

Just thought I'd let you know... you've been tagged for this meme!

stillwaters said...

It's a blessed thing that many people, however caught up they are in this busy and hurried world, still pause to reach out to those in need. God bless them, and the mom-to-be and her baby.

FloridaWife said...

Hey, NewHouseNewJob. I also belong to a forum that is supportive and non-judgemental. It's not Catholic though, so I have to put up with some things sometimes, but in GENERAL I have been very happy to see that on the forum a lot of people do indeed encourage how great it is to have a child.

And by the way, I haven't been by in a while, and I see your ticker with your wedding!!!! WhoooHoooo!! Almost there! Looks like my baby and your wedding are happening in the same timeframe.

Take care and God bless.

newhousenewjob said...

Yes, I was thinking the same - you must be due about the same time as my sister (whose third baby is due on our wedding day - good thing babies don't tend to stick to their due dates, as I really hope my sister will make it to the wedding).

Good to see you over here - have been checking in at your blog regularly and following your and Raffaele's progress.