Wednesday, 7 November 2007

Mmmm, endorphins

Not long before I went on holiday, I joined a gym. Now, I could bang on about how special, unusual and altogether ideal this gym is - but it would probably be the endorphins talking, as I've just got back from a good workout. Suffice to say, it offers a programme which suits me down to the ground.

One of the things they do at this gym is to weigh and measure you once a month and produce a graph for you of how you're doing. In the first month, I exercised for a week and a half, spent half a week babysitting and getting ready for my holiday, then ate red meat and cheesecake and drank Castle lager for two weeks, almost without stopping. So when I had my first weigh-in yesterday, I was not displeased to find that I had lost a whole pound.

At this rate, I should reach my target weight by about March 2012. Fortunately, though, I haven't yet managed to persuade my boss to give me two weeks' holiday every month, so I'm hoping the rate of weight loss may pick up a bit this month. One of the side effects of exercise for me is that after exercise, I can't bear to eat anything that might undo the good I've just done, so I've just eaten a very nice salad with king prawns.

Of course, I did say after exercise I can't bear to eat anything unhealthy. We won't mention what happens before exercise. I mean, it was my colleague's birthday, and it would have been rude to refuse those cream cakes.

Yes, that was plural. It was another colleague's last day in the office before he went off to get married. Well, having accepted the cake to celebrate the birthday, it would have been even ruder to refuse the cake to celebrate the wedding.

OK, maybe March 2012 is a realistic date for reaching my target weight, then. I don't care. I feel gooooood. They should bottle endorphins and sell them as a cure for depression...

9 comments:

Mac McLernon said...

Actually it's the cream cakes that are making you feel good...

...well, it works for me!

newhousenewjob said...

;¬) You do realise you're responsible for the fact that I'm probably going to end up having at least of those special Christmas coffees at Starbucks before the week is out, don't you, Mac?

Mac McLernon said...

Mea culpa, mea culpa... remind me to go to confession...

Bless me Father, for I have sinned... I caused a friend to waste inordinate amounts of time drinking coffee and sitting in squishy armchairs...

Mac McLernon said...

Anyway, exercise is bad for you. We have a predetermined number of heart beats allocated. If you make your heart beat faster, you're going to "run out" of heart beats and will die sooner.

Best not to take the risk.

newhousenewjob said...

Sorry, 'waste'? I thought we were selecting hymns for Mass and the coffee was just to keep us going... We did good work in those squishy armchairs. It did get me hooked on Starbucks, though.

newhousenewjob said...

You're probably right about the heartbeats, though. I also have a theory that the weight in the world is constant, which means that in order for me to lose weight, someone else has to gain the same amount. Cream cake, anyone?

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Sure kills my depression..take a look at my post on the gym..

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Hey your heart beats go down the more you exercise..my resting pulse rate is 60 something..previously nearly 80 so you're saving heart beats..come on Mac & newhouse....get to the gym!

Colleen said...

These comments are a riot! I'm laughing out loud over here!