Saturday, 3 November 2007

Holiday in KwaZulu Natal

New Man and I had a great time in South Africa, where we stayed with my brother and his family. We enjoyed getting to know my latest nephew, born in July, and his two-year-old brother, whom I last saw at Christmas. The baby was baptised while we were there - I'm his godmother, and New Man stood in for the godfather, who couldn't make it there. Here's the present I gave my new godson.


In the evenings, I worked on something which I started to make for the two-year-old soon after he was born. Well, when I say started... I bought the canvas and some wool. I actually got round to finding a suitable picture and tracing it onto the canvas last autumn, and by the time I left for South Africa it was about three quarters done.

I managed to finish it while we were there - and here's the finished product. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Thomas the Tank Engine stories, this is James the Red Engine. It's a lovely soft rug, and I love seeing my nephew curl his toes into it.


KwaZulu Natal is famous for the "Four B's" - battlefields, berg, beaches and bush. We didn't really get into the bush, although we did see some animals, and we managed to get through the other three - quite a feat for New Man's first visit to Africa, with a three-month-old baby in tow. I'm off out for the evening now, but I'll post some photos either tonight or tomorrow.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Hi NHNJ. How talented you are!! I'm glad to hear that you both had a great holiday.

And what uplifting news about you former next-door neighbour from the previous post. Do keep up the good work.

God bless

Fiona

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks Fiona.