Monday, 5 November 2007

Animal pictures

Although we didn't get out into the bush, we did manage to see a bit of African wildlife. Just out past my brother's house, there's a very small game reserve with a selection of impala and wildebeest.

One of the wildebeest even obligingly posed for me. They're not the most attractive animals ever - in fact, African legend has it that the wildebeest is made from the bits and pieces that God had left over after He had finished creating all the other animals.

When we were in South Africa for my brother's wedding, my mother in particular was fascinated by the weaver birds, and would sit out on the verandah with a cup of tea in the mornings, watching them weave their nests. I took these pictures of masked weavers for her.

At Phezulu, as well as the Zulu dancing, there was a snake and crocodile park.

As I looked down into the first couple of crocodile pits, I said to New Man, "You know, I'd be a lot more impressed if they just had the live crocodiles here and didn't try to pad them out with lots of stuffed dead ones." Then the "stuffed dead ones" started to move, and I was suddenly very impressed! Notice the weaver bird nests in the tree here above the crocodiles.


After we had seen the crocodiles, we were a bit peckish, so went off to find the restaurant. One of the items on the menu was called 'Fear Factor' - you could allegedly go into one of the crocodile enclosures and sit at a table amongst all the crocs while eating a crocodile kebab. I don't know if they would really allow tourists to do that - we wimped out and just ordered the crocodile steak. It was reasonably tasty- a bit like chicken, but chewier.

The park also had tortoises...

... rock python ...

... green mamba ...

... and snouted cobra.

But the most fearsome hunting animal of all was back at my brother's house...

7 comments:

Beth said...

Hey I love all your pictures. It looks like you had a great trip. I'm glad you're back!!

gemoftheocean said...

Great pictures. I especially like the bird ones. You may be interested to know that Hillary Clinton's detractors often call her the "Hildabeast."

Karen

Esther said...

I love your photos. Glad you had a wonderful trip.

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks Beth and Esther. Karen, the bird ones are my favourites - I could never have got that sort of quality on my old camera. I didn't know that about the Hildabeast - very funny!

Colleen said...

What awesome pictures. You certainly have a very international family. Is it common in England for families to spread out all over the globe? I know very few people here in the US who have ever lived overseas. Just curious.

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks Colleen. I suppose it is relatively common - maybe stemming from colonial days. Also, remember we live in a country the size of a postage stamp.

Actually, though, my two older brothers both married girls from overseas who were then living in England, and ended up following them back to their homes. In a country the size of a postage stamp, it's easy to bump into foreign visitors...

Amy Caroline said...

How fun! Beautiful pictures!