Saturday, 13 October 2007

No offence, but...

It's a common observation that when someone says, "No offence, but...", they expect what they are about to say to be offensive to the person they are talking to, but want to take the sting out of the tail in order not to seem so rude.

This morning I thought of a brilliant idea for a post. It was an angle on something that I'd never seen before, and I was sure a lot of people would have agreed with it. As I stood in the shower, I thought about exactly how I would phrase it.

As the shampoo disappeared down the drain, I realised that I would have to put a disclaimer at the beginning of this post. Despite the fact that my intention was not at all to upset anyone, there was a possibility that some people might be offended at what I wrote. I restarted the post in my head, with the words, "I hope this doesn't offend anyone."

Then I realised that if I need to say that, I don't want to write that sort of post. I know I've written things in the past that have offended people, and I've no doubt I will in the future, because different people have different sensibilities and different life experiences.

But this isn't consciously that sort of blog. I don't set out to stir up controversy, to act as devil's advocate or to start a debate. There are plenty of other blogs out there which do have that aim, if people want to be shocked or challenged. Any post that needs to start with a disclaimer is a post which I don't need to write.

So I'm sorry, but this morning's post will not be seeing the light of day. You'll have to wait until I think of something nicer to say...

9 comments:

Mac McLernon said...

Why do you need to apologise for what you were thinking?

(Go on, write it without the disclaimer... or at least email it to me and I will blog about it!!!)

;-D

newhousenewjob said...

I'm not apologising for what I was thinking, because I personally don't think it was offensive - but I can see how some people might get offended by it, so my apology was for not having anything interesting to write about today, I suppose. And just generally to burble on a bit about my train of thought.

Amy Caroline said...

Ok, now I am curious!! I must know!! What were you going to post!!

Beth said...

Ah, surely it wasn't THAT offensive? This post is a big tease! :)

newhousenewjob said...

Let's just say that I don't think any of you three would have found it offensive, but it was about a certain type of person, and I think the people I was talking about, and probably a lot of people who read their blogs, would have got offended if they'd stumbled across it. And there are some hornets' nests that just aren't worth stirring up. Again, sorry. I'm going to bed now - you can read my post about the rugby instead. Did I mention that England won? :¬)

Esther said...

Now you peaked my interest too. But I understand how you feel. Many times I feel I will address something that bugs me on my blog. But then I think twice and don't do it. I've never regretted not posting something yet. Although, I may have regretted it if I had posted. Make sense?

newhousenewjob said...

Absolutely, Esther. Although this was just an observation rather than something that bugged me, I just had a feeling I could have come to regret posting it, so I didn't. I'm beginning to regret posting this instead, though... :¬)

leutgeb said...

Good move. I have several unpublished posts mostly on the subject of music.

newhousenewjob said...

Ah, well I have posted on music before - but I did refrain last week from ranting about the Mass that I'd been to after the family party. Perhaps I'm mellowing in my old age...