Sunday, 9 September 2007

An unexpected sort of day

I'm ridiculously busy at work at the moment, and will have to spend most of today working once I get back from Mass. So when New Man announced that one of his closest friends was coming over from the US this weekend and wanted to meet us in Bournemouth on Saturday at another friend's house, I wasn't all that impressed. I was even less impressed when I discovered he had flown into Heathrow on Friday evening and hired a car, and so could have driven a mere 20 miles to come and spend the night with us before driving down to Bournemouth on Saturday morning.

But I didn't complain, and as New Man doesn't drive, I drove him down to Bournemouth - and boy, was I rewarded for my efforts!

After a summer of rotten weather, the sun came out yesterday, and the weather was absolutely glorious. We went to Kimmeridge for the day, and after clambering over rocks for almost an hour, we ended up having a beautiful and secluded cove completely to ourselves. I collected a couple of interesting fossils, and we saw a whole lot more, including some that were almost a foot across. But the best bit was that New Man's Bournemouth friend is a keen snorkeller, and he took each of us out in turn and showed us the best places to see the fish.

Yes, that's right - not only was I swimming in the sea yesterday (just in my swimming costume - no wetsuit needed), but I discovered the joys of snorkelling off the Dorset coast! As well as being a wildlife reserve, the area we visited is difficult to get to by land, so it's completely unspoilt. We saw a number of fish - several large bass, mullet, wrasse, and lots of smaller fish. The water was amazingly clear, and the plant life was also beautiful.

It was the first time I've ever tried snorkelling, and I think I'm hooked! What you're looking at is beautiful, and all you can hear is the sound of your breathing. I was completely immersed in the moment, and forgot about the piles of work waiting for me at home, the long drive back, and all the other little things that were making me feel stressed.

I can highly recommend the experience to anyone who hasn't tried it - and don't let anyone tell you that you have to go to exotic locations overseas to do it.

6 comments:

Esther said...

I'm glad you like snorkeling. I guess I don't like the feel of breathing with my mouth (and accidentally swallowing water, so I prefer to hold my breath instead.

newhousenewjob said...

I always thought I'd be the same, Esther, so I never even wanted to try it. Plus I hate getting water up my nose, so usually when I'm swimming I don't put my face in the water. This was just amazing - I couldn't believe how easy it was, how relaxing, and how beautiful the things I saw were. I'd never even heard of people snorkelling in the UK before.

newhousenewjob said...

Oh, by the way Esther, Hawaii is top of our list of potential honeymoon destinations at the moment. We're hoping to be able to do a bit of snorkelling there too...

Beth said...

My mom and dad went to Hawaii and snorkeled. (And I never ONCE saw her put her head underwater when we were growing up). They both loved it. I'm going to have to try it one day.

Hawaii would be a great honeymoon! They loved Kauai.

diana said...

We adored Hawaii! Please go if you can, it really is paradise on earth! There is so much to do! Just don't attempt hiking!:)

We snorkeled in Hananuma Bay in Oahu. My daughter LOVED it! One daughter didn't get the trick of it but the older one did and was thrilled.

newhousenewjob said...

Ah, thanks for the tips. New Man's going to book the honeymoon, and it's a long way off yet, but we're pretty keen on the idea of Hawaii.