Monday, 3 September 2007

Top 100 songs meme

Esther has tagged me for this meme. Here are the instructions:

First, you go here, scroll down to the bottom and select the year that you left secondary (high) school.

Then, code the entries as follows:

  • Bold = I loved it
  • Underlined = I liked it
  • Strikethrough =I hated it

Do nothing to entries you don’t remember, or have no response to.

I've cheated a little bit by using a UK top 100 list from here rather than the US one above. So here we go...

UK Top 100 Singles of 1987

1 Never Gonna Give You Up – Rick Astley
2 Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now – Starship
3 I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) – Whitney Houston
4 You Win Again – Bee Gees
5 China In Your Hand – T’Pau
6 Respectable – Mel and Kim
7 Stand By Me – Ben E King
8 It’s A Sin – Pet Shop Boys
9 Star Trekkin’ – The Firm
10 Pump Up The Volume – M/A/R/R/S
11 I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) – George Michael & Aretha Franklin
12 Under The Boardwalk – Bruce Willis
13 Let It Be – Ferry Aid
14 Always On My Mind – Pet Shop Boys
15 Got My Mind Set On You – George Harrison
16 Can’t Be With You Tonight – Judi Boucher
17 La Isla Bonita - Madonna
18 La Bamba – Los Lobos
19 Hold Me Now – Johnny Logan
20 Who’s That Girl - Madonna
21 Everything I Own – Boy George
22 Down To Earth – Curiosity Killed The Cat
23 When A Man Loves A Woman – Percy Sledge
24 Heartache – Pepsi and Shirlie
25 Always – Atlantic Starr
26 Whenever You Need Somebody – Rick Astley
27 Toy Boy - Sinitta
28 I Get The Sweetest Feeling – Jackie Wilson
29 Faith – George Michael
30 I Just Can’t Stop Loving You – Michael Jackson & Siedah Garrett
31 Live It Up – Mental As Anything
32 Love In The First Degree/Mr. Sleaze - Bananarama
33 Crockett’s Theme – Jan Hammer
34 Alone - Heart
35 Wipeout – Fat Boys & Beach Boys
36 Call Me - Spagna
37 Let’s Wait Awhile – Janet Jackson
38 Jack Your Body – Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley
39 The Great Pretender – Freddie Mercury
40 Male Stripper – Man 2 Man Meets Man Parrish
41 Lean On Me – Club Nouveau
42 What Have I Done To Deserve This – Pet Shop Boys & Dusty Springfield
43 Some People – Cliff Richard
44 A Boy From Nowhere – Tom Jones
45 With Or Without You – U2
46 Wishing Well – Terence ‘Trent’ D’Arby
47 Heart and Soul – T’Pau
48 Fairytale Of New York – The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl
49 I Wanna Be Your Drill Instructor – Abigail Mead & Nigel Goulding
50 My Arms Keep Missing You/When I Fall In Love – Rick Astley
51 Never Can Say Goodbye - Communards
52 Bad – Michael Jackson
53 You’re The Voice – John Farnham
54 Living In A Box – Living In A Box
55 Little Lies – Fleetwood Mac
56 The Way You Make Me Feel – Michael Jackson
57 Sweet Little Mystery – Wet Wet Wet
58 Reet Petite – Jackie Wilson
59 Shattered Dreams – Johnny Hates Jazz
60 True Faith – New Order
61 Criticize – Alexander O’Neal
62 Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree – Mel Smith & Kim Wilde
63 Crush On You – The Jets
64 I Want Your Sex – George Michael
65 Love Letters – Alison Moyet
66 Jack Mix II - Mirage
67 If You Let Me Stay –Terence ‘Trent’ D’Arby
68 Labour Of Love – Hue and Cry
69 Running In The Family – Level 42
70 Almaz – Randy Crawford
71 (Something Inside) So Strong – Labi Siffre
72 Causing A Commotion - Madonna
73 My Baby Just Cares For Me – Nina Simone
74 (I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life – Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
75 I Found Lovin’ – Fatback Band
76 Weak In The Presence Of Beauty – Alison Moyet
77 FLM – Mel & Kim
78 Letter From America – The Proclaimers
79 The Slightest Touch – Five Star
80 What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For – Shakin’ Stevens
81 So Emotional – Whitney Houston
82 Mony Mony – Billy Idol
83 Somewhere Out There – Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram
84 House Nation – Housemaster Boyz
85 Heaven Is A Place On Earth – Belinda Carlisle
86 Animal – Def Leppard
87 Wishing I Was Lucky – Wet Wet Wet
88 Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
89 Is This Love – Alison Moyet
90 The Circus - Erasure
91 Crazy Crazy Nights - KISS
92 I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – U2
93 The Living Daylights – A-ha
94 Coming Around Again – Carly Simon
95 C’est La Vie – Robbie Nevil
96 Another Step (Closer To You) – Kim Wilde & Junior
97 I Need Love – LL Cool J
98 Is This Love - Whitesnake
99 Jive Talkin’ – Boogie Box High
100 No More The Fool – Elkie Brooks

Phew... now - who to tag? Any of you who left school in the 80s and fancy a trip down memory lane.

5 comments:

Esther said...

That was interesting that the UK had a different list. I didn't know most of these songs. I liked that U2 song though. Thanks for playing NH!

newhousenewjob said...

Yes, considering that UK pop music is so heavily influenced by the US, it's interesting that so many of the artists in this list are actually British. It was a fun trip down memory lane - thanks for the tag, Esther.

Dracunculus said...

How can you not like "It's a Sin" - best thing the Pet Shop Boys ever did!

diana said...

I rejected Pop music in 1986 but still recognized a few...I liked Heart and Soul a lot and True Faith.

newhousenewjob said...

At boarding school, you heard all the songs whether you wanted to or not - everybody had their radio on the whole time, and most were tuned to the same station, so you just heard the same things as you went round the school.