Tuesday, 18 September 2007

A story to make you feel sick - sorry

On the train on my way home this evening, I read one of those single paragraph articles they use to fill up space. It said that a mother in Australia was suing her IVF doctor because she had given birth to healthy twins after insisting that she only wanted one baby.

I've just looked it up - the full story is here, and it's not pretty. Since she's suing for the "wrongful birth" of one of her three-year-old twins, I wonder if she's had to choose which of the twins she would rather not have had?

The women concerned (yes, it's a lesbian couple) went to court today to try to ensure that their identities can never be revealed, because "it could be distressing for the girls to discover several years down the track that their mothers did not want to have them both".

Pity they didn't think of that before launching the court case.

7 comments:

Ken said...

That is SO SAD! That reminds me of a story I read a while ago. A couple got pregnant through IVF with quadruplets - two girls and two boys. He decided to selectively abort two of them - the boys - because he said that boys are more prone to autism.

Oops, this is Beth, not Ken.

Colleen said...

Isn't it amazing how sin seems to lead to more sin and it snowballs until you are left with a horrible story like this one. The souls of these women are in my prayers tonight.

Ma Beck said...

Beth,
That man was a writer for the LA Times, I believe.
He was quite happy to write a story as soon as they got back from the abortion clinic.

Also,
What Colleen said.

Mac McLernon said...

This is so sick it is almost unbelievable...

FloridaWife said...

I think this lesbain couple is putting up a show. They are doing it for the money. All the trauma and crying and counseling is all part of the act. They want the money. They could have given one up for adoption, but they didn't. This really is about the money, and they're hoping that their act will give them a swift $400k.

newhousenewjob said...

My thoughts exactly...

diana said...

I agree with Florida wife. This loathsome behavior is a money stunt and lets hope the judge sees it as such.