Wednesday, 5 September 2007

A great story

A little girl called Aaliyah Hart started school today. Have a look at her story and watch the video here.

What makes Aaliyah special is that when she was born three months premature, she was Britain's smallest baby. She was 7 inches long and weighed only 12 oz. At birth, she was given a 1% chance of survival.

Aaliyah's parents had been trying for a baby for fifteen years. Five months into the pregnancy, they discovered that their much-wanted baby was not growing properly. Doctors gave her a 10% chance of survival and advised her mother to have a termination.

After Aaliyah's birth, her mother had the following words for expectant mothers who are told their babies may not survive:

"I'm proud I was strong enough not to listen to the so-called experts. I didn't crumble under their advice. This is great proof for all baby doctors . . . think and remember Aaliyah Hart."

And here's what Aaliyah's mother said this week, four and a half years later:

"The doctors offered to abort her right up until I gave birth. But I was blessed with a strong little girl who pulled through. And now she's preparing for her first day at proper school."

7 comments:

Ma Beck said...

Congratulations, Aaliyah!
What a beautiful young lady - may she have a long and blessed life.

Esther said...

What a beautiful story and a beautiful little girl. It reminds me of the House episode (I finally saw) where he wanted to abort the baby, which he kept calling a fetus. Did you see it?

newhousenewjob said...

I've heard about that episode, but I haven't seen it yet. Apparently the scene where the baby grabbed House's hand was based on a real photo taken in 1999 of a child who seemed to grasp his surgeon's hand during open foetal surgery for spina bifida.

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Amazing story..my babies were over 9 times heavier than the little girl at birth!

Esther said...

Oh! That makes sense.

diana said...

Isn't she just adorable in her little red coat and hat!!!!

Abortion is such a shameful thing. I would like to show her to those doctors and tell them a thing or two.

newhousenewjob said...

I think her mother's doing a pretty good job of telling the doctors they were wrong! - and rightly so.