Sunday, 1 July 2007

Reinforcing the message

Thinking of life issues reminds me of a story my mother tells.

When Humanae Vitae, the Papal Encyclical on the Regulation of Birth, was published, my eldest brother was two. At Mass that week, the priest was reading out a letter from the bishop, explaining what this Encyclical was all about.

My brother was not always well-behaved in church, and the letter was long, so my mother kept him quiet by feeding him some jelly babies that she found in her bag.

As the priest read on, explaining the Church's explicit prohibition of both abortion and contraception, my brother finished the sweets that he had been given, and in a piercing voice that carried throughout the whole church, he demanded to be given some more, shouting:

"More babies, more babies!"

My mother never fed sweets to any of her children in church again!

5 comments:

Mac McLernon said...

I know I shouldn't, but I can't resist, sorry...

...Out of the mouths of babes...

diana said...

That's too adorable!

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

What a great story!i love it..

Ma Beck said...

How cute! Your brother was certainly right.
:)

Leticia said...

Matthew 11:25
"At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes."
Did you ever see a child who didn't love babies, sugar or otherwise?