Saturday, 21 July 2007

One of those really good days

Today I had a little reunion with some people I knew in China. We worked for a voluntary organisation, and of the people who came today, the nearest to me lived about three days' travel from where I worked. We would meet up and travel together during the holidays, write to each other during termtime, and meet together for conferences and training. From experiences like these, lifelong friendships are made, and even though it was more than ten years since some of us had seen each other, it was as if we had seen each other yesterday.

We've all acquired a bit of baggage since then - as well as New Man, there were a couple of husbands there (and more left at home), and altogether I had 10 adults and 10 children here for the day. The children, ranging in age from 10 months to 12 years, got on brilliantly together, and although it poured with rain for much of the afternoon, the weather couldn't put a damper on the barbecue. I put up photos all round the house from my time in China, and we sat late into the night telling the children stories about our past exploits and adventures.

Two families are staying the night, and I'm about to settle down for the night on the sofa downstairs.

I love days like this, and feel so blessed that I have these wonderful friends and that I now have a house which is big enough to accommodate a party like this.

1 comment:

diana said...

Friends are definitely up there as one of the greatest blessings...glad you got to share your day (and home!) with them!