Sunday, 29 July 2007

On not buying a sofa

A couple of weeks ago, a fairly momentous thing happened.

I didn't buy a sofa.

Here's how it happened. I don't have any furniture for my newly-decorated front room - at the moment, I'm making do with some borrowed garden furniture. I'd been looking at the Ikea catalogue and had seen a sofa I really liked. So once the decorating was finished and we had a bit of spare time, New Man and I went to Ikea.

We got to the sofa section, and I showed him the one I liked. There was a bit of a silence - the sort that means, "She likes THAT? Is she mad?!"

I said, "You don't like it, do you?" and he instantly responded, "Well, no, actually."

So I didn't buy it. Simple as that.

Now, those of you who've never been single might sometimes think it would be rather nice to be able to choose exactly the sofa you want without having to take anyone else's opinion into consideration.

You might have no idea what a thrill it was for me to be able to say, "Oh well - we'll keep looking and see if we come across one we both like." Of course, it's still my house, and I still live alone - but for the first time in almost 10 years I can see the possibility that this may not always be the case. It's a possibility I'd almost entirely given up on.

I love the fact that these days, I can't instantly accept an invitation without checking with another person. I love talking about "we" and "us" rather than "I" and "me". I love having someone to dissect the day with after we've been out somewhere. I love rushing home and waiting for the phone to ring. I love the fact that he just texted me to ask if I was OK, because he hadn't got the message that I'd got home safely after dropping him off. I feel looked after. I feel loved.

I'm so happy that I still don't have a sofa.

7 comments:

Jeffrey Smith said...

It's a good feeling, isn't it? I still miss it.

martie said...

Thanks for stopping by my place, sorry it took so long for me to get over here for a visit. Yes, by all means, if you can figure out a way to send some of that lovely English rain my way, feel free to do so.

Sometimes it is so nice to be in a situation where you finally have someone else to consider....if you're happy than that's wonderful and don't let anyone tell you different!!!!

Dracunculus said...

That'll teach you to go to Ikea. You are aware that Ikea is the creation of Satan and it's sole purpose is to cause couples to have blazing rows :-) (That said I do have an Ikea sofa!)

Ditto what Jeffrey said... it does feel good.

Ma Beck said...

Awwwwwwwww - sweet.
New Man - heh.


Drac,
They do have the Sveedish fish, though.
:)

Dracunculus said...

And kottbullar (meatballs), don't forget the meatballs!

Beth said...

Aw that is a great feeling :)

diana said...

I still feel like that after 14 years of happy marriage...so glad to have someone around. Even though I do like my privacy and being alone.