Wednesday, 18 July 2007

Good carer, bad carer

My niece is here tonight for a sleepover, or, as she calls it, a 'night-over'. Her mother left just before bathtime, and having said goodbye, my niece sat down with a stuffed penguin (known as 'Muvver Penguin' for some reason) on her lap and said she would read her a story. She looked particularly cute as she sat there gently cuddling Muvver Penguin and showing her the pictures in the book.

Having reached the end of the book, she turned back to the beginning and said, "Now you need another story", and 'read' it again, still cradling Muvver Penguin on her lap and showing her all the pictures.

Fast forward half an hour or so, and my niece was bathed, in her pyjamas and sitting on my lap having her story ('Muvver Penguin' was asleep in the formerly wormy cradle downstairs). I reached the end of the story and tried to put the book down and get my niece into bed.

"No, read it again," she said.

"No," I replied. "You know you only get one story at bedtime."

"Well, Muvver Penguin wanted it two times and I read it to her," she retorted.

How is it that a three-year-old can make you feel like an utter heel for daring to stick to the normal bedtime routine?

2 comments:

diana said...

I know where you're at! My daughter is a champ at guilt trips....she had us reading to her for over an hour every night--that's about 35 toddler books or more. Ironically she doesn't enjoy reading anymore at age 12...
your niece sounds like an absolute DOLL!

newhousenewjob said...

Ah, there's a world of difference between reading and being read to! My brother's three eldest boys (now aged 13, 11 and 9) still race to get ready for bed if my brother offers to read to them.