Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Friendly blogs

On some of the blogs I visit, I'm a confirmed lurker. These are the blogs where it feels as though all the commenters know each other, and on occasions when I have left a comment, I've almost felt (perhaps unfairly in some cases) like an intruder.

Then there are the blogs which seem to welcome comments from total strangers, and although I still don't often comment, I do love to feel that I can. I also love it when, having left a comment, I see from Sitemeter that someone (I don't know whether it's the blog owner or another reader) has paid me a return visit. I've discovered a few good blogs myself by clicking on the profiles of people who have commented on my own blog.

I know that people have different reasons for keeping blogs - some only exist to keep faraway family and friends up to date with their daily lives, and in that case, maybe it is an intrusion when I interrupt the conversation with my own comments (though in that case, the option is always open through blogger for people to restrict their readership to those that they choose, so that I generally assume a blog with open readership is not restricted).

I know from Sitemeter that I have a fairly steady trickle of visitors, and some keep coming back. Some comment quite regularly, and I love reading their comments (and their blogs). I'd just like you all to know that this is (I hope) a friendly blog - as far as I know, only one person whom I know outside the blogging world reads my blog, and I love getting visits both from people I am getting to know and from total strangers and hearing what they think about the things I'm posting on.

I do moderate comments, and I have two reasons for this - first, because I find that's the best way to make sure I know when there's a new comment and don't miss reading it, and second, because I've both received a bit of spam/mass marketing/obscene junk myself and seen a lot on a couple of other blogs. However, my blog does now allow anonymous comments.

So if any of you are tempted to delurk, but are feeling a bit timid about it, can I just say - you're very welcome here, and I'd love to hear from you!

15 comments:

FloridaWife said...

I just want to say thank you for always being supportive of me and visiting my blog. The emotional support is good. God bless you. (I like that picture of the babies, btw.)

Esther said...

NewHouse, from the very beginning, I have found your blog to be a friendly place. I always feel welcomed here. I'm glad you posted this one because I could relate to it.

newhousenewjob said...

Thank you both - your blogs are also ones that I enjoy visiting and think of as friendly blogs. :¬)

Anonymous said...

I have just discovered your blog today, and having had a good look through, have been intrigued to discover some very familiar points e.g. your post on the Ann Winterton bill suggests that we share the same MP - she wasn't in the House that day as she had to attend the opening of the Welsh Parliament. Other posts suggest that you're a near neighbour. But I can't work out which parish you attend. Intriguing! Great place to live though, isn't it.

Do keep up the good work.

Fiona.

Mac McLernon said...

Only one known-in-the-real-world reader?

You need to tell new-man to get online!
;-)

Beth said...

Yeah, I enjoy visiting and I enjoy your comments!!

newhousenewjob said...

Fiona - yes, it's a great place to live, and I still can't believe how fortunate I am to be living here after over ten years in a rough patch of South-East London.

Mac - I've told him it's all about hair and nails - he's not interested ;¬)

Beth - loved your story today about the poopy pool - you really earned your trip to Starbucks!

Jay3gsm said...

Hi. I'm a confirmed lurker, regular reader of many blogs, rarely commenting though. But I thought I'd salute you here.

Keep up the good word.

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks Jay - nice to see you!

Anonymous said...

This was a great post and thanks for opening up to us "anonymous". I have been following you for sometime now (your on my 'favorites'), but as I don't have a blog of my own it can be hard to comment when a personal blog is needed. From here 'across the pond' on the northshore of Massachusetts, USA, I enjoy my daily dose of 'just doing my best'. Keep up this great work!
Blessings...
Pede

Jennifer F. said...

Yes, your blog definitely comes across as friendly! I think I've commented before but just wanted to "delurk" in case I haven't. I have you on Bloglines so I never miss a post.

Cate said...

Your post hit close to home for me. I perceive the same thing in the blogospher that you write about in the first paragraph. Add to that I'm terribly shy in "real life" and not at all quick witted and you get someone (me) who read blogs, but doesn't often comment even on those where I've "met" the person - like you or Mac. By the time I think of something to say - particularly with the time difference between here and there - well, it seems a day late, a dollar short and that everyone has moved on. I should get over that, huh?

newhousenewjob said...

Pede and Jen, thanks for your comments - I'm really enjoying 'meeting' all these lurkers (and of course, I've been reading and enjoying Jen's blog for ages).

Cate, definitely get over it (in the nicest possible way)! I love getting comments, and I don't care how old the post is on which someone is commenting. Of course, when you moderate comments, Blogger doesn't tell you which post someone is commenting on, so having published them I sometimes get to play a fun game of 'hunt the comment' as I try to work out which post the comment attached to!

Cy said...

Your blog is one of the most friendly blogs I visit! I admit, I come here often, but hardly have any courage to leave a comment. Thank you for all that you post on your blog!

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks Cy - great to hear from you!