Thursday, 5 July 2007

Coming second

At the age of about 14, I entered a tennis tournament (somewhat against my will - all the local teenagers were taking part, and my mother didn't want me to miss out).

A loss in the first round qualified me for the 'plate' competition. In my age group, there were only eight entrants, so I was instantly through to the semi-final. After my semi-final opponent had failed to turn up, giving me a bye to the final, I lost the final - and was awarded a trophy as the runner-up!

I was reminded of my dubious tennis 'success' just now by this hilarious news article. If you've ever had doubts about your cake baking skills, read this article and pity this poor woman!

1 comment:

diana said...

Too funny!
I would be plain insulted to be the only entrant and receive an "Honorable Mention." Second place I would only be slightly miffed!