Friday, 8 June 2007

Personal policies meme

I've been tagged by Esther again. I actually followed this meme back to its origin to see what the original instructions were:

"I think it would be safe to say that we all have personal rules that we live by. Surely it's not just ME. I'm not talking about moral rules, like "Do not kill." I'm talking about the silly policies we impose on ourselves, like "Never eat anything you can't identify," or "Don't step on sidewalk cracks." For some reason, I started mentally listing the quirky rules I follow and got curious about other people's personal rules. Hey, why not start a meme?"

So, here are some of my personal rules:

1. Saying grace silently in my head before I start eating is so deeply ingrained that I even have to do it in large gatherings when we have all already said grace together before I can take my first mouthful.

2. I always end the day by thanking God for the day, listing out things that I'm thankful for and then praying by name for each member of my family, my godchildren and anyone else who needs special prayers. The order in which they are mentioned varies depending on who seems most in need of prayer that day, and some people end up getting mentioned twice, but no name is ever omitted, however tired I am. In the case of some people whose blogs I read, praying for them by name means using their Blogger ID - I presume God also reads the Internet and knows who you are!

3. However cold my feet are, I never ever ever put my socks on before any of my other clothes in the morning.

4. I always salute when I see a single magpie, but in a way that makes it look as though I'm just casually scratching my head, just in case anyone's watching.

5. As soon as I wake up each Saturday morning, I phone my parents. We each have one of those BT programmes where calls are free for the first hour, and very often we'll reach the end of the first hour and then have to put the phone down and redial.

6. Coasters must be used for drinks, and any drips must be wiped up IMMEDIATELY. Apart from those two things, I'm not house-proud at all.

7. NEVER put a wet spoon in the sugar.

8. Remember which cup you were using, and reuse it - you can always rinse it if you're paranoid about germs. I hate it when people get out a fresh cup for each successive cup of tea, and you're left with a kitchenful of dirty cups at the end of the day.

9. I keep my watch seven minutes fast, and always aim to arrive early for everything - and then wait just around the corner until the allotted time. I HATE being late.

10. No piece of work is ever important enough to justify cancelling a prior social engagement - even if it means I have to work straight through the night after I get home from a visit.

Right, that's enough. I have a hunch these people will come up with interesting answers: Suzanne Temple, Jackie Parkes, Leticia, Cate, Mac - and anyone else who fancies it.

1 comment:

Cate said...

Got the meme up! And thanks for putting me on your blogroll. I forgot to say that before. :}