Friday, 29 June 2007

OK, I'll talk about it too...

I've just got back from Mass, and today's homily could have been written just for me. The priest started off by saying that he often issues a health warning against reading the Catholic press - particularly the correspondence pages - as doing so can give the false impression that the Catholic Church is at war, with an unbreachable division between hardline traditionalists and woolly liberals (and not a lot in between the two hardline positions).

I might add that you can get the same impression from the blogosphere.

He said people even see this division between Saints Peter and Paul - the 'Rock' on which the Church was built, and the itinerant missionary who wandered around the world spreading the Word as the Spirit moved him. Some have even described St Paul as "more of a Protestant", while Peter was the solid Catholic.

And yet the Catholic Church was built on these two pillars - Peter and Paul. Look at the prayer that I posted earlier today (OK, late last night) - "knit together in unity by thy Spirit". Both had a role to play in the formation of the Church, and between them they helped to build UNAM sanctam, catholicam et apostolicam Ecclesiam.

The best posts I've seen on the Motu Proprio, ones which give a balanced view of what it means for the average person in the pew, are here, here and here (H/T to Esther for the last link).

Unfortunately, I didn't heed Father's health warning, and looked at the Catholic Herald on my way out of church. So here, just to be balanced, I give you the most disappointing thing I've read so far about the Motu Proprio...

(In fairness, I should mention that the Catholic Herald also has a very good editorial entitled "The bishops should welcome the Pope's motu proprio", which you can read here.)

7 comments:

diana said...

The disappointing link was broken...I wish my kids were giving me the time to read all of this! the comments on Saint Mary Magdalen were very interesting and I found much I agreed with..."Out dated folk mass" stands out...
A issue I see is that the problem in the Church is interior. Would having the Latin Mass offered with regularity change anything in the hearts of people unwilling to be catechized? Are people just so far gone in wanting total independence from the Church while claiming membership?

I wonder...this will be interesting to see played out.

newhousenewjob said...

Hi Diana

I agree. Last weekend I was away, and the church where I went to Mass had plastic chairs and no kneelers. I was the only person who didn't sit through the Eucharistic prayer, and nobody even knelt for the consecration. I complained to New Man's 80-year-old Irish mother afterwards about it, and she said, "Yes, it's sad, but that's the way it is in most parishes now." Nobody I know outside the blogosphere has even heard of the Motu Proprio - and how do you reach all these people who don't even realise that the things they're seeing are wrong?

Thanks for letting me know about the link - I think it's now fixed.

diana said...

I finally read the link...very interesting...but I must say one thing: Our Catholic Herald in Milwaukee, (very liberal archdiocese) would never print in a million years anything about *banal* liturgies!!!They want you to think that EVERYONE loves the hand clapping, the praise choir, the hand holding, and of course, they never NEVER admit anything like ABUSE occurring! Whatever aberration the Milwaukee priests decide is always kosher, thanks to the spirit of Vatican 2!The bishops, or Rome, "Changed" things "again" when abuses finally (but never for long) get corrected!

My mother, dad and sisters are so p'oed at me for mentioning that standing was an innovation, we are supposed to be kneeling (in the US the ENTIRE Eucharistic prayer) and since then, 7 1/2 years ago, they *still* haven't spoken to me!
Lots of denial!

newhousenewjob said...

Ah, that would the stance of the Catholic Times over here, I think!

How very sad - I hope they come round. I was amazed that an 80-year-old Irish Catholic, when I complained to her about no kneelers being provided at all and the congregation sitting throughout the Eucharistic Prayer, just shrugged and said, "But it's like that in most parishes now". We need some sort of resensitising of congregations against things like this - I think they call it catechesis...

newhousenewjob said...

Oops, should have read my own comments - I forgot I'd already told that story! :¬)

diana said...

I have found the same thing...even older people I would have *assumed* knew better do that shrugging thing I cannot bear...the who cares thing.
Oh what a wretched world!
I guess people are right about it being a religion of the heart...we can teach the mind but if the heart doesn't get it...

newhousenewjob said...

I'm not sure it's always a 'who cares' shrug - more of a 'what can we ordinary people do if that's what the Church wants?'. The sad thing is that so many people have been fed so much rubbish about Vatican II that they actually believe it REQUIRES the liturgical abuses that have happened in many parishes. And if (like New Man's elderly mother) you don't travel much and don't have access to the internet, who is there to set you straight?

That's why I think we have a duty to point out where abuses are taking place and gently tell people what the Church's teaching actually is - the standard of catechesis these days is such that large numbers of Catholics don't even know there's anything wrong in the eyes of the Church.