Sunday, 10 June 2007

More bad hymns

Today, the feast of Corpus Christi (and don't get me started on how annoyed I am that it's been moved to the nearest Sunday), the Communion hymn in my church was "Now in this banquet" - not one I've ever heard before in the UK (though I believe it's more common in the US).

The refrain goes:

"Now in this banquet
Christ is our bread.
Here shall all hungers be fed.
Bread that is broken,
Wine that is poured,
Love is the sign of our Lord."

Am I being oversensitive, or do these words seem a little, well, heretical to you? "Bread" and "wine", "the sign of our Lord"? How about "Real Presence"? Or how about "This isn't actually bread and wine you're consuming, chaps, but the body and blood of Our Lord"? (I'm sure those exact words could be worked into one of these modern "hymns" without looking at all out of place - other than in the fact that they're actually expressing Catholic teaching.)

Call me a rebel, but I carefully read the words of that hymn and then turned to another page in my hymn book and silently sang some different words:

"O bread of Heaven, beneath this veil,
Thou dost my very God conceal..."

7 comments:

Ma Beck said...

Gak.
No, you are most certainly NOT being oversensitive.
That song SUCKS and is pure heresy.
Say it with me now, everyone:
I am NOT RECEIVING "BREAD" AND "WINE" AT COMMUNION.

Yeesh - now ya got me started.
;)

Mac McLernon said...

I'm with you on that one, Newhouse...

Maybe we should get together for an auto da fé and rip various hymn books to shreds before consigning them to the flames...

;-)

newhousenewjob said...

Sorry, hate to send you both to bed with raised blood pressure - but it's good to know I'm not alone. Mac, just name a date... :¬)

Cate said...

I'll bring the kerosene and lighters!

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Yes we had the wonderfully traditional hymns for the Corpus Christi Procession yesterday...

Beth said...

Yep, isn't that David Haas or someone like that? Not a big fan. My parish in college sang that kind of crap. Yuck.

newhousenewjob said...

Marty Haugen. But you're right - it's "someone like" David Haas!