Monday, 4 June 2007

Doctors and mechanics

Just before I left Missouri, I asked my brother (a doctor) to remove a couple of moles for me. There was nothing wrong with them - they just got in my way a bit - so he just snipped them off and cauterised the area, as that way the scars will be a lot smaller than if he had cut away a chunk of skin and then stitched it.

Two of the children - the 9-year-old and the 5-year-old - asked if they could watch, so we had a little audience as he chopped me up. When my brother got out the machine that did the cauterising, he switched it on and waited till it glowed red hot. He then pressed it against my skin, where it hissed and produced a little wisp of smoke and a loud smell of burning flesh. The children watched with fascination, until the 9-year-old couldn't contain himself any longer, and asked:

"Daddy, are you welding her?"

3 comments:

Mac McLernon said...

Can you have a "loud" smell?

;-)

(There, gotcha for the "hoards"... though it's strange... I know exactly what you mean!!)

newhousenewjob said...

Yes - it was humming!

Ladybug Mommy Maria said...

Love what kids say!