Wednesday, 30 May 2007

More sightseeing

Well, today was an absolutely stunning day - visually, meteorologically and aesthetically. My nephew was marvellous company, and route marched several miles in blistering heat without a word of complaint and with every evidence of enjoyment. Oh, and we also continued to have great fun with my new camera. Our sightseeing started at the Capitol.
I tested the zoom again...

And thanks to my nephew being an American citizen, we were able to go across to his congressman's office and get gallery passes to go in. We missed out on the guided tour, but saw plenty even so.
We then walked back over to the Washington Monument, built in memory of George Washington.
While we waited for our turn to go up, I had a chance to play around with some of the fancy functions on my camera a bit more.
From the top, we had fantastic views of the White House...
... and the Lincoln Memorial ...
... and the Jefferson Memorial ...
... and the Capitol...
... and even the Basilica!


After a quick lunch, we spent the afternoon in the Natural History Museum.

I could show you lots of pictures of dinosaurs and other creatures that we took for my other nephews and nieces, but I'm sure you get the idea...

2 comments:

Esther said...

Hi NewHouse. Nice photos. Glad you are enjoying your trip. My brother and friend were there this past Memorial weekend too. He regrets not having enough time to visit Abe Lincoln like he usually does. His main purpose this time was to see the baby panda.

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks Esther. We had a group from Hawaii sitting next to us in the visitors' gallery at the Capitol yesterday - I presume he wasn't among them...!