Wednesday, 16 May 2007

A bit disappointed

OK, I'm feeling disgruntled, and it's probably largely because my back is, after all, still very sore.

But I think I see why some people get discouraged. Thousands of words and pictures are spewed onto the blogosphere every day, professing to support unborn children. And yet here we have a chance to do something concrete to get the law changed, and to save the lives of countless future unborn children.

Sitemeter tells me that two people have clicked on links in the above post, both in the US and therefore probably not eligible to write to MPs requesting a change in the UK law. Nevertheless, thanks to both of them for taking an interest. I know I have UK readers, but it seems none of them are interested.

There is one other link (apart from mine) to the Catholic Action UK piece. And none of the UK blogs I read has mentioned the Bill - in fact, on a quick Google search I didn't find any other UK Catholic blogs at all that mentioned it.

Maybe if we're this apathetic, we deserve the laws we have...

6 comments:

Mac McLernon said...

Ouch! That hit home...

Guilty as charged... I'm afraid that I didn't read the post as carefully as I should have (I only got about halfway down) and so didn't actually see the link...

...there is also the possibility that many won't follow up on this because, at a first glance, it looks as if it is supporting abortion (the right to choose)... look at the hash compromising with the Mental Capacity Bill resulted in...!

Jay said...

I think I have signed the petition from Catholic ACtion blog. On my blog I have link to the UK Catholic pro-life movement under the banner of Our Lady of Good Counsel as well as link to Catholic Action UK. Have a look, you can be interested to visit the webpage of pro-life Catholic organisation I mentioned above and see what excellent job they do to save lives of unborn children - mainly by counseling women who consider abortions. Anyway, all is described on their website. God bless!

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks guys - I feel better now! I know there are a lot of initiatives constantly going on, but a chance to influence the law seemed too good an opportunity to pass up. I've also done an e-mail to friends who aren't bloggers, and I believe several of them are writing to their MPs.

I see what you mean about compromising, Mac, but I think in some ways this is just fighting the 'pro-choice' people with their own language - pointing out that a real choice is where someone understands that they have options other than killing their baby. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who actually WANTED an abortion - most women who have abortions just can't see any alternative, and the counselling and the cooling-off period should help them to see the alternatives.

The other proposal in the Bill is that doctors should have to be more explicit about the reasons they are referring women for abortion - again, making them think more might make them less willing to sign the forms.

Matt Doyle said...

Some of us are so ahead of the game that we didn't need to click on your link having already taken action. God bless, and nice meeting you yesterday for the ascension mass!

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

i personally found Catholic Action a bit economical with the Truth...

newhousenewjob said...

Good to meet you too, Matt. Jackie, I recognised the Parkes family last night, but you left too quickly for me to say hello!