Monday, 14 May 2007

About me meme

This meme came from Bill the Cat.

1. Male or Female: Female

2. Married or Single (or religious): Single.

3. Dream vacation: My holidays are mostly all the same - visiting other members of my family who are scattered around the world. I'd like to see Australia and New Zealand, and to visit the village my grandparents came from in Ireland, and I'd also love to go back and visit all the places I used to know in China.

4. Birthplace: Hanover, West Germany.

5. Area I live in currently: Buckinghamshire.

6. Someone you wish you could meet: My future husband and children :¬).

7. Biggest "pet-peeve": Oh, there are so many - but they all boil down to one thing: the lack of respect for other people in British society today.

8. Favourite Religious devotion: Besides the Mass - the Rosary.

9. Favourite Saint (besides the Blessed Mother): St Christopher (now you've rehabilitated him for me!).

10. Favourite sport that you play: Squash - though I haven't played it for a little while. I also used to row, and loved that - but don't have the time to devote to it these days.

11. Favourite food: Tough one, this - I love food. I can tell you what I don't like - the one food I won't eat is scrambled egg (though I love eggs in all other forms). And if you really can't stand scrambled egg, don't feed it to a toddler before taking her on a boat trip if there's any possibility she might be seasick!

12. Tridentine or Novus Ordo: Novus Ordo with reverence and a bit of Latin (Missa de Angelis) at the moment - though ask me again on Thursday night after I've been to this Mass.

13. Would you (or are you) home school or public school: I went to boarding school, and think it had huge benefits for me. If I had to choose a school, the important thing is that it would have to be a Catholic school. Given the opportunity, in the absence of a Catholic school I'd be interested in home schooling - particularly with the mess education is in here in the UK at the moment.

14. How many kids do you have: None.

15. Ever been in an auto accident: When I was 21, I wrote off my parents' car. It was shortly after my birthday, and my mother used to give me silly badges on my birthday cards. I stood on the pavement at the side of the road, crying my eyes out and bemoaning the fact that this was my parents' only car and I didn't know how they would manage - wearing a badge that said on it "Mummy's Little Ray of Sunshine"! Incidentally, as I left home that day I had scratched the car very slightly on a wall outside my parents' house. My mother had inspected the damage and said, "Well, if that's the worst you can do, I really wouldn't worry about it"!

I've been in three or four other accidents, but fortunately have never been hurt. The last time was when a truck went into the back of me on the motorway last year, and left a perfect imprint of its radiator grille on my back bumper!

16. Ever seen a pope in person: No.

17. Languages that you know fluently: English. French used to be pretty fluent, but is now very rusty. I can argue quite effectively in Mandarin Chinese.

18. Last movie you saw in theatres: Fracture (starring Anthony Hopkins doing his intelligent psychopath act again). Chosen by New Man - saw it a couple of weeks ago. New Man and I have been to the cinema more times in the last couple of months than I have done in the previous five years.

19. Favourite Blog: Well, the first blog I read, which introduced me to the blogosphere, was Mulier Fortis, and it's still the first I'll look at if I haven't got much time. Mac, you've got a lot to answer for (I should be working right now...)!

20. Your thoughts on Barney, the Easter bunny, and Santa Claus: I'm very happy to say that none of my nephews, nieces or godchildren has ever got into Barney.

Both the Easter bunny and Father Christmas gave me many happy memories from my childhood, and I was devastated when, at the age of 10 (yes, I was a credulous child) a group of other girls told me Father Christmas didn't exist. I remember arguing back for ages, with 'proof' that they were wrong, and I'm still not entirely sure I believe them...

But he only gave us small presents (a tangerine, a sugar mouse...), and we knew that our main presents were from our parents - I think it's important that children learn to recognise the time and effort their parents have put into choosing the perfect presents, and then learn to do the same thing themselves in choosing presents for other family members.

OK, I don't know who's already done this - Mac might be here till Kingdom come if she has to answer question 15. If anyone is reading this and hasn't done it yet - have a go!

7 comments:

Mac McLernon said...

My sincere apologies for leading you astray when you should be working...but not for encouraging you to do your own blog... I really enjoy reading it!

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks Mac :¬)

FloridaWife said...

I hope the future Mr. Newhousenewjob is right around the corner.

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks. It's looking highly possible New Man could be him...

Mac McLernon said...

Good... remember, I want to sing the Ave Maria at your wedding!

Brad Harvey said...

Loved your answer to #6. I`ll light a candle for you.

newhousenewjob said...

Mac, I'll make sure you have the date in good time so you can get practising.

Brad, thanks - I need all the help I can get...