Tuesday, 17 April 2007

"Working from home"

My lovely brother-in-law taught my niece to do quotation marks in the air with her fingers when she says that I'm "working from home". I lived with them for three months while I was between houses, and one day when my sister wasn't feeling well, I took my niece into my office to fetch some stuff so I could look after her for the rest of the day and somehow fit in a day's work as well. My niece did the "working from home" thing beautifully while talking to my secretary!

Anyway, that's what I've been doing today. I'm very fortunate to have a job where I can work from home regularly and to have a study now which is a separate little building at the end of my garden, so that work and home life are kept somewhat apart.

I went into the study and logged onto my office computer at about 9:30 this morning, and logged off and came back up to the house at 10:45 pm.

In the meantime, I've had my own computer switched on in the background so that I could keep my blog addiction fed during my tea breaks, I've had a chat with the roofers who've nearly finished doing my roof, taken a delivery of garden furniture and assembled it straight away because I couldn't wait, taken two phone calls from my niece, eaten lunch and tea, loaded the dishwasher and cleaned the deck in preparation for the garden furniture to go up.

I also worked from home yesterday, during which time I managed to chop the dead branches off the tree outside the study door, drill holes and put some pictures up in the study, put the rubbish out, fill in and post my voter registration form for my new address and nip down into town to pay some bills and buy a birthday present for my niece.

All that was done in between writing worksheets and preparing a powerpoint presentation to accompany the two day course I'm teaching at the end of this week, reading several articles on the latest developments in the subject and incorporating the relevant points into the course materials, and writing a major case study to round off the course.

Quite a productive couple of days, dontcha think?!

1 comment:

Mac McLernon said...

I feel like a positive slacker in comparison!