Thursday, 19 April 2007

What's in a name?

My niece has a teddy bear called Bear, a mouse called Mouse, a rabbit called Rabbit... I think you get the idea.

I think all these innocuous-sounding names go back to the time my brother-in-law got a bit silly naming the soft toys she was given as a baby.

I can't find an exact picture of it, but the one that became her favourite looked rather like this:

For a long time she wouldn't sleep without it, and as it was more and more loved it became more and more manky-looking.

So we got a bit concerned that she'd be starting nursery school, clutching this horrible, scraggy, worn-out, flat thing in her little hand, and her teacher would look at it with an expression of polite horror and say through gritted teeth, "How lovely - what's it called?"

To which my niece, of course, would reply with the name that my brother-in-law had chosen for it the first time he saw it, before we knew that it would become her favourite:

"Roadkill."

3 comments:

Andrew said...

ROTFL!! It had me giggling like a fool.

Jeffrey Smith said...

I'd love to see the look on the teacher's face.

antonia said...

hehe! funny!

nice to see another English Catholic