Thursday, 12 April 2007

A tiny grave

I learnt something new about my great-uncle in yesterday's eulogy. I knew he had a son and a daughter, but his son said yesterday that his parents had had three children, one stillborn.

Christopher and his wife had been married for 64 years when she died in 2005. She was cremated, and her ashes were buried in the coffin with him yesterday.

The plot next to theirs in the cemetery had a tiny little mound in it. The cross at the head of this little mound bore a name and a single date in 2006.

Is it coincidence that they, having lost a child more than 50 years ago, have been buried beside another little baby that didn't have a chance at life? I wonder if it would comfort the parents of that little boy to know how my great-uncle and aunt could identify with their own pain. I like to think they'll be looking out for him in Heaven.

No comments: