Thursday, 5 April 2007

Maundy Thursday

"I give you a new commandment: love one another; you must love one another just as I have loved you. It is by your love for one another, that everyone will recognise you as my disciples."
(John 13:34-35)

When evening came he was at table with the Twelve. (Matt 26:20)

Jesus knew that the Father had put everything into his hands, and that he had come from God and was returning to God, and he got up from table, removed his outer garments and, taking a towel, wrapped it round his waist; he then poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel he was wearing.

He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, 'Lord, are you going to wash my feet?'

Jesus answered, 'At the moment you do not know what I am doing, but later you will understand.'

'Never!' said Peter. 'You shall never wash my feet.'

Jesus replied, 'If I do not wash you, you can have no share with me.'

Simon Peter said, 'Well then, Lord, not only my feet, but my hands and my head as well!'

Jesus said, 'No one who has had a bath needs washing, such a person is clean all over. You too are clean, though not all of you are.' He knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said, 'though not all of you are'.

When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments again he went back to the table. 'Do you understand', he said, 'what I have done to you? You call me Master and Lord, and rightly; so I am. If I, then, the Lord and Master, have washed your feet, you must wash each other's feet. I have given you an example so that you may copy what I have done to you. (John 13:3-15)

As soon as Judas had taken the piece of bread he went out. It was night. (John 13:30)


Then he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.' He did the same with the cup after supper, and said, 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood poured out for you. (Luke 22:19-20)

'Father,' he said, 'if you are willing, take this cup away from me. Nevertheless, let your will be done, not mine.' Then an angel appeared to him, coming from heaven to give him strength. In his anguish he prayed even more earnestly, and his sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood. (Luke 22:42-44)

He came back to the disciples and found them sleeping, and he said to Peter, 'So you had not the strength to stay awake with me for one hour? Stay awake, and pray not to be put to the test. The spirit is willing enough, but human nature is weak.' (Matt 26:40-41)


Suddenly, while he was still speaking, a number of men appeared, and at the head of them the man called Judas, one of the Twelve, who went up to Jesus to kiss him. Jesus said, 'Judas, are you betraying the Son of man with a kiss?' (Luke 22: 47-48)

3 comments:

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

"you must wash each other's feet. I have given you an example so that you may copy what I have done to you. (John 13:3-15)"

Yes...I spent 90 minutes in adoration before confession last night...if we do not stand in the gap, one for another, if we do not plead one for another, if we do not let others offenses roll off us like water off a ducks back...then what..."Lord, please be merciful to me..." "Now you come to me you who had no mercy on X, you who insisted on strict justice and your pound of flesh? Begone!"

It's all in the will.

&c. &c.

newhousenewjob said...

"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

"How many times should I forgive my brother?"

"Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers..."

Yes, He's a tough act to follow, but we can't complain He didn't make it clear to us what we had to do.

The great thing is, there are other people out there who are doing it for us too.

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

"The great thing is, there are other people out there who are doing it for us too."

Yes, yes, yes!