Sunday, 15 April 2007

Leisure

"What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep and cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare."
- W H Davis

This weekend I planned to paint my front room, unpack some of my books onto the new shelves, clean the house, do a bit of work on lesson plans for next week, pay some bills and deal with my pile of boring admin correspondence.

What I actually did was to spend yesterday with my sister, brother-in-law and their two children. It's always a joy to see my nieces, and both were on fine form. We had what will hopefully prove to be the first of many barbecues in my new garden, I got plenty of baby cuddles and toddler cuddles, the two-year-old took over my study for some sort of elaborate game and the girls had their bath here before they all set off back home at bedtime.

Today, New Man came over after church. He's been away on business and just got back yesterday. He brought me a present - a DVD of Pier Paolo Pasolini's 'The Gospel According To St Matthew', which I'm looking forward to watching this week. We sat out in the garden chatting, had leftovers from yesterday's barbecue for lunch, then I drove us over to a friend's house for supper and dropped him back home late this evening.

This weekend has been a real gift - and as I contemplate the half-decorated front room, the boxes of books, the pile of unpaid bills and unanswered letters, the unhoovered floors and dusty ornaments, and the mountain of work which awaits me tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I made the right decision.

All those things can wait, but if I'm always too busy for my loved ones, one day I'll be ready to see them and I just might find they're all too busy for me.

No comments: