Tuesday, 10 April 2007

Going topless

No, not me - my house. My roof was taken off today, preparatory to being replaced, so I'm now praying for fine weather for the rest of the week.

This house purchase has been interesting. The people I bought the house from were evangelical Christians - the husband makes a living through work for his church and is quite well-known in certain Christian circles.
I think that's why, after bending over backwards to accommodate their wishes (including making myself homeless for three months to fit in with their desired timeframe and paying several hundred pounds to put all my belongings in storage for that time), I was particularly disappointed by the following:
  1. Certain items which were part of the fixtures and fittings and therefore legally belonged to me, since they were not specifically excluded from the sale, were removed from the house without my permission before I moved in. They have been difficult (in some cases, so far, impossible) to replace, and large ugly holes have been left in the walls from which these items have been removed.

  2. I haven't actually been able to put anything in the garden shed yet, as it's still full of the large and heavy pieces of junk which were left behind by the previous owners. Eventually, I think I'm going to have to hire a skip to have these things taken away, as they're too bulky to fit in my car. The junk left between the shed and the side wall is also causing damp in the side wall.

  3. Several sacks of rubbish were left in the garden for me to dispose of.

  4. The previous owners' children had a sandpit in the garden. I know this because the sand has been dumped out of it into a big heap in the flowerbed. To make it more difficult for me to clean up, the big heap is between a little picket fence and a large and prickly shrub.

  5. The day I moved in, the kitchen sink was blocked by a large amount of gunk - mostly old bits of food - which I had to remove by hand before I was able to use the sink.

I could go on, but you get the idea...

Is it just me, or should I have expected better of someone who makes a living out of telling other people how to be good Christians?

1 comment:

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

Tsk, tsk...what did you expect of a "good" prot? He's just sincere, that's what counts.