Monday, 23 April 2007

Favourite saints meme

I've been tagged by Brad at Leave Your Head At The Door (you see what happens when you add a chap to your blogroll?!) - and it seems I've been a bit slow at responding to this one... I have to list my four favourite saints, one favourite blessed, and one person I think should have been a saint. In no particular order, here we go...

First up is St Benedict - his Rule gives us all a lot of wisdom about how to live a Christian life. Plus one of my brothers was on the point of entering a Benedictine monastery at one point, so I have a certain amount of affection for the Benedictines. Plus there are churches all over Europe each of which claims to have an arm of St Benedict amongst its relics, and who could fail to have a certain affection for a saint with twelve arms?! He should be the patron saint of multi-tasking women.

Second, St Peter - he struggled to live up to the high standards Jesus set for him, and sometimes failed, but he never gave up trying and Jesus rewarded him by trusting him to build His church.

Third, St Madeleine Sophie Barat - she founded the order of nuns who educated me, my mother and my sisters. Her philosophy is part of who I am.

Fourth, St Thomas the Apostle (Doubting Thomas) - he wanted so desperately to believe, but was unable to do so without proof. How many times have I identified with that...?

Next, Blessed Jeanne Jugan - foundress of the Little Sisters of the Poor. She told her nuns, "Be like a mother to the grateful ones, and also to those who don't know how to be grateful for all the things you do for them. Say in your heart, `I do it for You, my Jesus!"' (Incidentally, by analogy to the Little Sisters, I heard the other day that in some circles the Benedictine monks at Ampleforth are known as "the Big Brothers of the Rich"!)

And finally, someone who should be a saint - who else but St Christopher? Yes, I know the story of him carrying the Christ-child across the river probably isn't true, and there's some doubt about whether he even really existed - but I've had itchy feet all my life and have travelled extensively, always with my St Christopher in my pocket. And I chose him as my confirmation saint, so I feel a bit cheated when people tell me he's been discredited...

And now I tag Ma Beck, Dad With Noisy Kids, Esther and, by popular request, Jen Ambrose.

11 comments:

Esther said...

Good answers! BTW, mahalo for the tag. I am going to work on my answers right now.

newhousenewjob said...

'A'ole pilikia - have fun, and I'll look forward to reading them :¬)

Mac McLernon said...

But surely the person who should be a saint is someone who isn't already canonised...?

...and "saint" Christopher (no matter how many mythological elements are in his story, some of it will be true... that's the effect of Tradition) is already "done" so to speak!!

Brad Harvey said...

NHNJ,
Christopher is very much a saint, and will forever be. Some years back, there were some erroneous statements in MSM articles that left many with the impression that St. Christopher a)had never been a saint, or b)had been "de-canonized". Actually, the only change was that his feast day (July 25)was downgraded to a local commemoration following Vatican II.
One of my favorites, St Crispin, got similar treatment.

Love your blog.

Esther said...

Cool, you speak Hawaiian ;-)

dadwithnoisykids said...

Look for a response soon!!!!!

newhousenewjob said...

Mac and Brad, I'm very happy to hear that St Christopher hasn't been "decanonised" after all - that moves him up to one of my favourite saints, but I'm not displacing anyone else (if Mac can have 8, I can have 5). I'll take Oscar Romero instead for the one who should be a saint.

Oh, and thanks for the comment re the blog, Brad. And Esther, I'm practically fluent - I know three whole words! ;¬)

Beth said...

Yeah! I just named my new daughter after St. Madeleine. ;-)

Ambrose said...

Why couldn't you tag me with this one. It requires so little thought :-).
Still working on my weird things post. Really

newhousenewjob said...

Jen, consider yourself tagged! :¬)

Beth, congratulations on your new daughter. I have a sister called Madeleine Sophie, and a brother called Benedict - perhaps that's another reason for the interest in those saints.

Ambrose said...

I did it!
http://jenambrose.blogspot.com/2007/04/tagged-im-it.html