Sunday, 29 April 2007

Favourite hymns meme

I've been tagged for this one by Catholic Mom in Hawaii. I've had great fun thinking about it, and it was VERY difficult to get it down to just a few hymns - and impossible to find some of them on the net, though I've put links to as many as possible. I was also fascinated to see how many of these hymns have alternative tunes - I've only posted links where they are to the tune that I know.

I've changed the format slightly:

Favourite Latin hymns

Salve Regina
Cor Jesu te laudamus (can't find this one on the net)
Tota pulchra es, Maria (nor this one)
Pange lingua
O salutaris hostia (scroll down to the bottom one on the left for the version I like - though I do like it played at at least twice this speed!)

Favourite traditional hymns in English

Fight the good fight (words here, tune here - again played a bit slower than I would normally sing it)
Dear Lord and Father of mankind
Faith of our fathers (words here, tune here - top left)
Soul of my Saviour
Sweet Sacrament divine

Favourite 20th century hymns

As the deer pants
The Servant King (not a brilliant recording)
Lord of all hopefulness
I would be true (to the tune of 'Londonderry Air' - or, as a friend of mine calls it, "London Derriere"; full words here)
Be not afraid

Favourite hymns for particular occasions

Christmas: It came upon a midnight clear
Easter: Battle is o'er, Hell's armies flee (especially if sung at the Easter vigil - I can't find this anywhere on the web)
Funeral: Be still, my soul
Baptism: Oh, the word of my Lord
Wedding: Fill my house (words here; I haven't been able to find the tune - there's a bit of liturgical incorrectness in the line "eat my bread and drink my wine", but "join with me as one in Christ-love", "all I own and all I do, I give to you", etc - I don't understand why the only weddings I've ever heard it at were ones where I had helped to choose the hymns!)

And now I tag Mac, with whom I've spent many Sunday afternoons sitting over coffee in Starbucks with a hymn book and a Missal, selecting hymns for the next few weeks. And anyone else who feels the urge...

8 comments:

Esther said...

Good answers even though I was unfamiliar with a lot of them. I look forward to listening to them. LOL about Londonderry Air :-)

Mac McLernon said...

Aaaarghh... I need to give that some thought...

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks Esther.

Mac - a countdown of your top 100, perhaps? Or would that be too restrictive? :¬)

Mac McLernon said...

LOL... anyway, I'm done now. Read mine HERE... but the links will have to wait!

Mac McLernon said...

And NOW you tell me I don't have to do all of the categories...

;-)

newhousenewjob said...

Well, you seem to have invented your own extra category anyway, with the Marian hymns. :¬)

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

Be not afraid?

Was that your joke hymn? I know you like a larf an all.

newhousenewjob said...

S-P,

When I was teaching English in China the words "you shall speak your words to foreign men and they will understand" just seemed to fit! Seriously, though, I do happen to like it - we're all entitled to our own (lapses of?) taste. :¬)