Saturday, 21 April 2007

Bedtime again

You can always tell where my niece has been - she leaves a trail behind her of dolls/soft toys/plastic figures/plaster ornaments which have been tucked up to go to sleep under whatever is to hand.

Last night I found a plastic Noddy asleep under a flannel in the bathroom, a rag doll asleep under some bubble wrap in the spare room, a doll asleep under a pair of my niece's knickers in her bedroom, and a small bust of Lenin ('Lemon', as my niece calls him - he was purchased during my sister's six month stint in a Russian university) under a book on the landing.

She always goes through some part or other of her own bedtime routine as she tucks them up, and the bit she never ever ever misses out is, "Thank you God for a lovely day."

I was very excited to find this beautifully carved wooden doll's cradle for a knockdown price in an antique shop this afternoon. I know her birthday was yesterday, and I really shouldn't be spoiling her any more, but I couldn't leave it behind.

It was only when I got it home that I discovered the reason it was so cheap: one of the four posts is riddled with woodworm. Since I live in a Victorian house with stripped wooden floors, the cradle's being banished to the shed until I can be certain the woodworm (a) isn't active and (b) isn't going to spread and start eating my house. Any suggestions...?

5 comments:

Anne said...

Not sure if they are the same kind, but my dad had made some cabinets and just after finishing them had some wood worms. He took them and put them in a deep freezer for a certain amount of time to kill them. I don't remember how long or anything... but you might try asking a local carpenter about it and see if that would work for the type you have.

newhousenewjob said...

Ah, thanks Anne - I'll try that. I think this cradle would fit in my freezer.

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

Are the woodoworm active?

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

Try this:

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/woodworm_killer_overview.html

From what I read here and there if you intend to soak / paint / cover an entire area you have to strip the varnish (obvious I suppose). If there are holes, then you can "inject" the stuff, but I suppose that it might be touch and go whether one can get a "uniform spread" internally.

I read that amonia can do the trick, but I don't buy it. I also read that paraffin and petrol do not work.

I read that heat does not always work as it really depends on the wood, type of beetle and will inevitably damage the wood in some way.

I read three to four weeks is typical for the deep-freeze trick, which seems to come in as the all around winner where practical.

Now, if it were me, I would get that cuprinol stuff and inject or squirt it in open holes and let it soak in over a couple of days (in the same way you linseed a cricket bat), then I would (also) freeze the durn thing for a month, nice and cold too. You need to kill them, not just put them to sleep.

also:
http://www.bhi.co.uk/hints/casefum.htm

and:
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page156.html

newhousenewjob said...

Wow, thanks for the detailed research, S-P! I've liberally treated it with the Cuprinol stuff, and will stick it in the freezer when that's dried in a couple of days. I also read that you can check whether they're still active by taping paper over the affected area and waiting to see if anything chews through it, so I'll do that as well before bringing the thing into the house. My niece might end up getting it for Christmas at this rate...