Thursday, 22 March 2007

A nice cup of tea

A true Brit never just has "a cup of tea" - it's always either "a nice cup of tea" or "a lovely cup of tea". For those of you who are not British, here is an example of this usage.

B has suffered some sort of crisis - this could be anything from having to get out of bed before 6:00 in the morning to witnessing her entire home blowing up in a gas explosion.

A says, "Would you like a nice cup of tea, dear?"

B takes the nice cup of tea, sips it and says, with a contented sigh, "Ooooh, that's a lovely cup of tea."

My lovely cup of tea this morning is an English Breakfast blend. At teatime I prefer Earl Grey. I also have Assam, Darjeeling, Ceylon and plain Yorkshire tea in my cupboard at the moment.

Cheers!

6 comments:

Esther said...

I love Earl Grey! BTW, thanks for linking to my blog. I am adding yours too! I really enjoyed my visit here.

newhousenewjob said...

Thanks Esther - I've been enjoying your blog too.

Anne said...

Oh yum... now you are speaking my language, even if I am a gauche American... how I love tea... am drinking a lovely white at the moment...

Jeffrey Smith said...

Darjeeling sounds good, right about now.

Sharon said...

Earl Grey is a bit too perfumey for my taste, I prefer Irish Breakfast or Traditional Afternoon.

Simon-Peter said...

Oh yes indeed.

Lapsang Souchong! A manly tea.

Just got some white tea myself (of course it isn't white), remarkably similar to Oolong, both from Fujian. Have to check whether "white" tea and Oolong are just synonyms.

PG Tips is my good old standby. Lancashire through and through.