Friday, 23 March 2007

Bedtime routine

My two-year-old niece has requested a visit, so this evening I'll be putting her to bed. I love her bedtime routine, especially the bit once I've read her story and tucked her into bed. Then I say, "What's next?" and she says, "Me me Lord Jesus", so I sing:

"Be near me, Lord Jesus,
I ask thee to stay
Close by me for ever
And love me, I pray.
Bless all the dear children
In thy tender care
And fit us for Heaven
To live with Thee there."

"And what now?"

"Thank you God for a lovely day."

So we thank God for the lovely day, and she tells Him which bits she liked best. She often spontaneously says sorry for the times that she's been naughty during the day. Then we ask Him to bless all the people she loves. I start off, "God bless Mummy and Daddy" and she immediately interrupts - "Don't forget you".

We finish with the Salve Regina, and I watch her as she falls asleep. I can't wait...

1 comment:

Esther said...

What a sweet post! It reminded me of a special time I had with my niece when she was much younger.